Benrue House

Benrue House

Our B&B is named after the Bin Rua castle. It's remains are to be found not far from the Benrue House.


Binroe Castle (Caisleán-na-Binne Ruaidhe, "Castle of the Red Pinnacle") is to be found in Ireland's History in Maps.
This internetsite can, amongst other things, inform you about the Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, (1839) in which the Castle of Binroe is mentioned:

There are the ruins of three castles in this Parish said to have been built by the O’Loughlins, viz.:-

  1. The Castle of Binroe, called in Irish Caisleán-na-Binne Ruaidhe, (i.e., the Castle of the Red Pinnacle) which is now nearly effaced.
  2. The Castle of Ballyganner, of which only one angle, about twenty four feet in height, remains, and
  3. The Castle of Ballymurphy, of which the foundations only are now visible

But also in the Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland (1845):

The highest ground is on the northern boundary, and has an altitude above sea-level of 635 feet. The seats are Lismoher-house and Lismoher-lodge; and the principal antiquities are the cross and the ruined church of Nohoval, three cromlechs, three Danish forts, and the ruins or vestiges of Ballyganner, Ballymurphy, and Binroe castles. Lough Aleenaun lies in the east. The roads from Kilfenora to Ballyvaughan and Kinvarra pass through the interior.

The Clare County Library also offers a lot of information, such as an article on the Archaeology of the Burren:

Farther on in Ballyconnoe is a small house ring, its wall coarsely built, and now barely a yard high, on a knoll of crag. Near it, roads run northward towards Toomaghera (or ‘Toovarra’) chapel, and south-eastward (a bad, but ancient, road) along a green shale ridge, past a heap of fallen masonry, once Binroe Castle, to Cahermacnaughten.

 

The Binroe Castle is to be found on an 1842 map of the Clare Library; the following pictures were taken from this map:

BinRua01

BinRuaZoom2

The online University College of Cork also provides lots of historical information.